Your dog deserves a round of a-paws!





Every September during HPRC’s #GotMySix campaign, I think about who “has my back,” and I make it a point to thank them for supporting me. Usually some key relationships pop into my head: my husband, family, friends, and co-workers. 

But someone who always “has my back” with unconditional love is my dog Ember. She is a 4-year-old English cream golden retriever who’s a “paw-some” source of social support, and she always “has my back” in terms of several aspects of Total Force Fitness.

Social fitness

When my husband travels for work, Ember helps me feel less lonely. She’s my sidekick, following me from room to room and showing me her favorite toys. She always brings joy to my heart, especially when she shows me her big retriever smile!

Ember has also helped my husband and me make some “fur-ever” friends and add people to our “woof pack.” Every time we’ve moved states, Ember helps us socialize. Whether that’s meeting new people at a dog park or having people approach us on a restaurant patio, Ember has helped us meet new people in new places and make some lifelong friends.

Ember on a walkPhysical fitness

Just like humans, dogs need exercise. Two of Ember’s favorite activities are walking and swimming. On days when I’m feeling tired or unmotivated, Ember reminds me that exercise is important for performance optimization. So I lace up my sneakers and we head outside for some movement. Even if it’s as simple as throwing a stick or playing tug, we both have a ball exercising outside!

Mental fitness

Whenever I’m having a “ruff” day, Ember provides extra support. She’ll put her head on my lap or offer a slobbery kiss. My husband and I joke that her love language is physical touch because she loves to hold paws and have her belly rubbed.

Sometimes on our walks, Ember will stop to smell the flowers, which reminds me to slow down, appreciate my surroundings, and connect with nature. Ember provides an extra boost of happiness when we spend quality time together.

So, the people who “have your back” may not be people at all. Pets can be an excellent source of social support and can help improve your overall performance. Although I’m partial to dogs, I encourage you to give your pet—whatever kind—a round of “a-paws” and thank them for having your back.

P.S. Tell your dog I said “Hi!”.


Disclosure: The opinions and assertions expressed herein are those of the author and do not reflect the official policy or position of USU or DoD. The contents of this publication are the sole responsibility of the author and do not reflect the views, opinions, or policies of the Henry M. Jackson Foundation for the Advancement of Military Medicine, Inc. Mention of trade names, commercial products, or organizations does not imply endorsement by the U.S. Government. The author has no financial interests or relationships to disclose.