How a growth mindset can help you build resilience and optimize your performance

 
By: Amanda King, teacher, coach, and military family member
Have you ever felt so embarrassed it seemed as if you’d completely left your body and watched the situation from above? You’re not alone. But building a growth mindset can help!
When I was a sophomore in college, I had to take a speech class to fulfill a degree requirement. I had deftly avoided the class in high school, but here it was again, rearing its ugly head. The first day of class, the professor surprised us with our first assignment. She wrote 7 prompts on the board, and “all” we had to do was speak to the class about one of them for a few minutes. We had no time to write out our ideas or all the interesting directions they might flow to.
I watched as person after person got up and spoke. They all seemed so sure of themselves. To be honest, I barely heard a word anyone said. My thoughts jumped from topic to topic, landing on a few things I could say, but nothing that had the makings of a good speech. I began to hope the professor wasn’t keeping track of who still needed to speak. I knew that was wishful thinking, so I wasn’t surprised when I heard my name and felt myself move to the front of the room. I started yammering on about one of the topics. Then, my words slowly came to a stop as I lost my thoughts in the stares of strangers. I started crying as I looked at my peers, one by one. I couldn’t have been more embarrassed. As I left class that day, I felt defeated. I had just failed my first assignment—in spectacular fashion in front of my new classmates.
Putting resilience into action
I decided that even though I wanted to drop the class, switch schools, and possibly change my name, the time had come to face this obstacle. I knew I’d need to speak in public in the future. So I read everything I could find on doing it well. I wrote and rewrote every speech. I practiced them all in front of friends and family, and I asked my professor for honest feedback. I put resilience—the ability to bounce back from setbacks and grow in the face of adversity—into action. I felt liberated from my fear of failure from that initial face-plant, and it made me doubly sure I never wanted another public-speaking engagement to go that way. By the end of the class, I got an A, despite my initial poor performance. One student even chanted, “Amanda for President” after my final speech. I’m not composing my inaugural address yet, but I do speak in front of people almost every day, and I still get nervous sometimes. Still, I never would have had the confidence to approach these situations without experiencing that failure, seeing it wasn’t fatal, and tackling the weakness head-on.
Growth mindset
The situation I experienced is an illustration of a growth mindset. According to the theory, a person who believes their abilities, skills, and talents can improve through effort and by trying new strategies has a growth mindset. With a growth mindset, a person doesn’t fixate on achievement but rather sets goals to learn and improve. Because they accept failure as part of the learning process, people with a growth mindset seek out difficult situations with the understanding that struggling through the challenge will help sharpen their skills in the long run. This helps them develop competencies and strategies they might never have mastered without that struggle.
People who use a growth mindset compare themselves to people of greater ability to learn their strategies and take advantage of the help they offer. People who use a growth mindset don’t equate effort with low ability. This set of behaviors contrasts with the approach of a person with more of a fixed mindset.
People with a fixed mindset believe abilities, skills, and talents can’t be changed. They believe you’re innately intelligent, a natural athlete, or a creative soul—or you aren’t. They avoid challenges as situations that might reveal their lack of ability. They believe effort and struggle are for people who are unskilled and, therefore, should be avoided at all costs. They tend to compare themselves to people with inferior skills so they can feel good about their own, possibly limited, talent. This fixed mindset becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy and keeps them from trying new things because they fear the “inevitable” struggle and failure at the beginning will just show they’re incompetent.
You can have different mindsets in different areas of your life. Also, your mindset about your ability in a given area isn’t 100% fixed or growth but occupies a position along a spectrum. Although there are many areas of my life where I catch myself entertaining fixed-mindset thoughts, my speech class experience is an example in which having a growth mindset allowed me to succeed. It would’ve been easy to apply a fixed mindset, attribute my failure to the fact that I just wasn’t the type of person who was good at public speaking, and give up.
I hope you’re able to use these ideas to start pinpointing areas where your mindset could use a shift in the direction of growth. Although genetics and life circumstances do play a role in a person’s success, there are few areas in life where cultivating a growth mindset couldn’t help someone excel.

 
* The opinions and assertions expressed herein are those of the author and do not reflect the official policy or position of USU or DoD. The contents of this publication are the sole responsibility of the author and do not reflect the views, opinions, or policies of The Henry M. Jackson Foundation for the Advancement of Military Medicine, Inc. Mention of trade names, commercial products, or organizations does not imply endorsement by the U.S. Government. The author has no financial interests or relationships to disclose.