Clear the clutter for a new year of well-being, performance optimization, and Total Force Fitness


By: Maria McConville, MS, RDN, CPT

The beginning of a new year is a good time to take stock of the past year, set some goals to accomplish in the new year, and clear out the old clutter to make room for the new.

As a Registered Dietitian who helps Service Members, their families, and the greater military community improve their nutritional needs, I often recommend clearing the food clutter from the kitchen that doesn’t contribute to good health and performance optimization.

Dr. Beth Funk—Army spouse of 33 years, professor, administrator, business owner, and yoga disciple—found better physical and mental health by clearing the clutter from her body and her mind. She shared her story with me.


MM: Beth, how did you begin this wellness journey of committing yourself to yoga and mindfulness?

BF: I was initially drawn to yoga because I had a debilitating, chronic, and extremely painful back condition. I heard that yoga was good for back pain. I had trouble participating in many of the physical activities I had enjoyed before my back injury, so I decided to give it a try. My daughter was also interested in yoga, so we started together. Almost immediately, I discovered the healing power of yoga.

As my back pain improved, I also felt more settled and peaceful. I had no idea what that was about, but as the glimmers of pain dissolved, it felt good and I wanted more.

Very quickly, my yoga practice began to improve my life. Physically, I felt better and stronger. Emotionally, I felt more grounded, complete, peaceful, and content. When I learned to breathe deeply and intentionally, it facilitated powerful and natural healing in my body. I began to untie the internal knots and congestion that had been there for years. I started to quiet the thoughts and the worry that exhausted my mind and sometimes left me fatigued and empty. I rediscovered my light. It had been clouded by the many years of accumulated clutter.

“Learning to breathe deeply and intentionally facilitated powerful and natural healing in my body.”

MM: Can you tell me more about clearing the clutter in your life?

BF: I didn’t realize that my back pain was a result of accumulated stress. I was inadvertently holding a tremendous amount of it. I needed to create the room for my body, mind, and soul to heal. Through yoga and breathing practice, the more my body opened up and expanded, the more my mind did as well. Little did I know, the congestion in my body and the congestion in my mind were connected!

MM: How did yoga and mindfulness impact your eating habits and nutrition?

BF: Once I started to heal, I committed myself to not moving backward. As my body and mind got healthier, I naturally wanted to eat nutritious foods so I could feel my best. My eating had always been fairly healthy, but I definitely had room for improvement. As I tuned in to my body, I noticed how certain foods made me feel. I cleared out the foods that didn’t nourish my mind, body, and soul.

Understanding that all the parts of the body are connected, and don’t work in silos, has been life-changing for me!

MM: Beth, you own and operate a yoga studio near a major military installation. In addition to more traditional yoga, you have a program for warriors. What does that encompass?

BF: Intrigued by my transformation, I began to study the science and philosophy behind this ancient practice. My studies inspired me to take my journey to the next level. I became a teacher, so I could share my passion for the life-changing practice of yoga with as many people as possible, including warriors. We offer yoga and mindfulness training through “A Hero’s Light,” since we live and operate close to this large military community. Instructors are trained through the Warriors at Ease program, a non-profit organization dedicated to bringing trauma-sensitive yoga and meditation to our nation’s heroes and their families.

MM: Congratulations Beth, on your successful healing journey. Thank you for the work you are doing for our warriors.



* The opinions and assertions expressed herein are those of the author and do not reflect the official policy or position of USU or DoD. The contents of this publication are the sole responsibility of the author and do not reflect the views, opinions, or policies of The Henry M. Jackson Foundation for the Advancement of Military Medicine, Inc. Mention of trade names, commercial products, or organizations does not imply endorsement by the U.S. Government. The author has no financial interests or relationships to disclose.