Resilience skills for stress management during the holiday season



By: Maria McConville, MS, RDN, CPT*
The holiday season at the end of each year can be a magical time. Maybe it’s the cozy images portrayed on commercials, the smells of gingerbread and hot cider, or the anticipation of gathering with loved ones. When I was a kid, the holidays were carefree. Now that I’m an adult, that same season can feel like a never-ending, pressure-filled to-do list. The visions of sugarplums dancing in my head are replaced by stressful visions of shopping, baking, decorating, traveling, and indulging.
As a Registered Dietitian and Wellness Coach, I’ve helped many Service Members, their families, and others take control of their stress to improve their overall health and well-being. I’ve applied the same stress- management techniques to my own life. I firmly believe stress does not have to be a part of everyday life— especially during the holidays.
I have a 2-pronged approach to manage stress.

  • I change or control my thought processes to thwart stress before it becomes stress. Stress isn’t caused by a particular thing or event, but by how I interpret it, what I think about it, or my reaction to it. HPRC’s ABCs of stress helps me set up roadblocks to keep stressful thoughts at bay.
  • I employ some individualized stress-management tools if stress does creep in. Some of my stress-management tools include meditation, tactical breathingcommuning with nature, listening to music, talking to a trusted friend, soaking in a hot bath, hiking, or massages. However, your toolbox might look very different from mine.
When it comes to the holidays, I’ve learned to employ a strategy that can be used in any situation. First, it’s important to identify the exact stressor. I’m amazed at how many people say they are stressed out but can’t say exactly what they’re stressed about. You can’t overcome something you can’t identify it. I have identified my holidays stressors as:

  • Baking. Many years ago, I came across a recipe for holiday cookies that everyone loves. I get several requests every year for my cookies. In the past, I’ve obliged all the requests. But honestly, I hate baking.
  • Decorating. I don’t have an artistic bone in my body, and that includes decorating. Besides, I’m exhausted after schlepping all those boxes of decorations up from the basement. And it never failed that I was stuck doing it alone, which made it even worse.
  • Sending holiday greetings. Before the Internet, I painstakingly wrote out and mailed more than 150 holiday cards. This arduous task took hours, and my repetitive words felt disingenuous.
Once I identified my stressors, I made a plan to deal with them:
  • I set aside one entire day to do my baking. I choose a day early in December—before all the madness starts—when no one is home so I can work uninterrupted. Luckily, my cookies freeze well.
  • Because I have friends who do like to decorate, I invite them over to help. While they decorate, I cook and keep them well fed. Although baking is not my forte, cooking is. It’s a win-win.
  • Instead of writing and mailing holiday cards, I use an online platform to upload a few family photos, include a short explanation, pick a holiday design, and send the link via email. This is by far my favorite stress-buster tool.

I hope you can apply some of my strategies to your life. Identify your stressors, change your mindset, and develop a plan to deal with them. Or crack open that toolbox and take some time for self-care. Learn to make stress your ally.

Don’t let stress zap your holiday joy or be the uninvited guests at your holiday festivities!


* The opinions and assertions expressed herein are those of the author and do not reflect the official policy or position of USU or DoD. The contents of this publication are the sole responsibility of the author and do not reflect the views, opinions, or policies of The Henry M. Jackson Foundation for the Advancement of Military Medicine, Inc. Mention of trade names, commercial products, or organizations does not imply endorsement by the U.S. Government. The author has no financial interests or relationships to disclose.