Ben King explains imagery


We recently wrote about imagery on HPRC—how it can be used as a total fitness skill and how it can improve your performance. We wanted to know more about how imagery can be helpful from someone who’s “been there,” so we sat down with Armor Down’s Ben King and asked him some questions. Ben shared how he’s used imagery in his own life.
Tell us a little bit about yourself. What do you do at Armor Down, and why is doing this important work to you?

I’m a husband, a dad to two daughters, and a leader. At Armor Down, we train warriors and Veterans to be more mindful and emotionally intelligent. This work is really important to me because I love America and want her to be as powerful and emotionally healthy as possible.

Recently, HPRC has been exploring the use of imagery to improve total fitness. What’s “imagery” exactly?
 
Imagery is a human capability that enables the mindful person to focus the energy of the mind on the present moment, without using language or analysis.

 
How have you used imagery to improve your own physical health?

I use imagery to monitor the moment-to-moment sensations occurring in my body during exercise. Visualizing the sensations in my mind as opposed to analyzing the sensations with my mind allows me to enter into a flow state more consistently.

Describe the changes, if any, it has made to your mental and emotional health. 
 
This has been the biggest change. My experience with my emotions used to be entirely analysis. Why am I having this emotion? When will this emotion stop? What does it mean? Visualizing emotions such as intensity—its direction and its size—gives my mind something to do other than analyze. I’ve found this to be really helpful with my more shadowy emotions such as shame and anger. Before, anger or shame could influence my entire day and sometimes the whole week. Imagery gives me a tool to influence that experience.

How can imagery be helpful when it comes to relationships? Can you recall a time or example of when you used imagery to benefit your relationships?

I was incredibly excited to watch a football game. My wife wanted us to run errands. As the game time approached, my mind analyzed every move my wife made as to whether or not we would be home in time. When it was time to go, my wife said she wanted to check one more thing. And in that instant, my anger really fired up. Fortunately for me, I could visualize this ball of sensations rushing up my throat. And I was able to stop it from coming up and out of my mouth as language expressing my anger at my wife for making me miss the game. By focusing my mind on the image of the sensation instead of letting it start analyzing, I was able to tame my anger and not project it on my wife. Before I knew it, my anger passed, we left the store, and I made it home in time for the game.

What is one thing you wish everyone knew about imagery?

It’s a practice. The more you practice, the more useful imagery becomes.

Name one thing you are grateful for today.

Foot powder