Self-talk: A way to level up

Women doing push-ups in front of the mirror, monochrome

By: Isaias Ramirez, Military Family Member

Have you ever wondered why some athletes or Service Members choke under pressure? Something as simple as throwing a pitch or giving a brief can suddenly become extremely difficult. What you’ve done easily for years during practice becomes almost impossible when it counts. Sometimes, situations like this can be due to what you tell yourself when the pressure is on.

I started reflecting on this when I was an athlete and realized I used counterproductive self-talk during football. At times, I’d tell myself I would be the biggest “you-know-what” if I didn’t make the next tackle. And at times it motivated me. But telling myself such negative things could also make it tough to refocus after a bad play. It started to wear me down mentally and affect how I played too.

Two photos of Isaias Ramirez before and after weight loss
I did the same thing a few years later in my fitness journey. I told myself, “You’re fat, and you need to get yourself in gear, so let’s go.” Again, it motivated me at times—until I started to agree with my negative thoughts. HPRC’s tips on how to optimize self-talk for peak performance helped me realize my struggles with counterproductive self-talk and how to shift my thinking to help me perform at my best.

What exactly is self-talk?

Self-talk is a technique used to influence thoughts, feelings, and behaviors. It’s a way for people to talk themselves into accomplishing their goals and objectives. Not only does positive self-talk help people meet their goals, it also changes the way people perceive their tasks. Also, athletes who use positive self-talk have more fun, and work harder, and do better in their sport. One thing I’ve seen firsthand in my 20 years of coaching is that happy and healthy athletes lead to successful seasons.

Leaders might ask why they should take time away from their everyday responsibilities to address a skill like self-talk. Helping Service Members shift into productive self-talk can help them regulate their energy and emotion, prepare for mental task completion, and enhance personal drive. Self-talk strategies can also boost performance in complex and stressful environments.

The importance of positive self-talk when leading

Team members in a circle huddled together
As a coach and teacher, I’m now more aware of my self-talk when dealing with stressful situations. It helps me stay in the moment and make sure my emotions and reactions help me—and especially those I lead—to perform at our best. During those inevitable times when things are outside your control, your self-talk is an asset you can control to ensure your actions lead to positive outcomes.



Isaias Ramirez has family members who served in the U.S. Army and the Air Force. He teaches Physical Education, Sports Medicine, and Strength & Conditioning, and he’s a head coach for Track & Field at Corcoran High School, in Corcoran, CA. He has coached various teams to 19 league titles.

* The opinions and assertions expressed herein are those of the author and do not reflect the official policy or position of USU or DoD. The contents of this publication are the sole responsibility of the author and do not reflect the views, opinions, or policies of The Henry M. Jackson Foundation for the Advancement of Military Medicine, Inc. Mention of trade names, commercial products, or organizations does not imply endorsement by the U.S. Government. The author has no financial interests or relationships to disclose.