Healthy holiday hacks

Kiwi Christmas tree

By: Maria McConville, MS, RDN*

Do you love the holiday foods this time of the year but worry about too much of a good thing? The holiday season can be stressful enough, and you don’t need to add to that stress by worrying about sabotaging your healthy eating habits. But with a few healthy holiday hacks, you can end the year on a positive note.

Benjamin Franklin said, “Failing to plan is planning to fail.” Having a plan of action is crucial. Consider the following ideas to help you.

 Identify, name, and alleviate your stressors 

You might think stress is just part of everyday life. But many people can’t exactly say what causes their stress. When you can name the things that weigh you down, you can make a plan to deal with them. Identify what causes your stress and make a plan to overcome it.

Decorating for the holidays had always caused me a lot of anxiety and dread. I don’t like to decorate, nor do I have a good eye for it. Once I realized how much of a burden it was to decorate, I took action. Luckily, I have friends who do like to decorate. Early in the season, my friends and I agree on a date to decorate my house. On the chosen day, they decorate while I make them some yummy food. They make my house look festive, and I keep them energized and full!

 Take the focus off food 

Keeping traditions alive is important for family ties. You can enjoy traditional foods during this festive season, but food doesn’t always have to be the main attraction. At holiday gatherings, balance eating with non-food activities, such as puzzles, games, and looking at photo albums. My family goes on a scavenger hunt before a big holiday meal to get the blood flowing, and it keeps people away from picking at the food. Other families might have a family fun run, football game, or a different physical activity. One of my colleagues comes from an Armenian family where traditional foods abound, as does playing backgammon. If your family doesn’t have a traditional activity, you could create one, such as a post-meal walk or an age-appropriate game.
 
 Give gifts of health 

Instead of making cookies and other sweets, you could gift homemade soups, stews, breads, trail mixes, granolas, or other healthier goodies. Other gifts of health could include a yoga mat or gift cards for bowling, skiing, kayaking, or rock climbing. I like to include a holiday note with my gift that says, “Giving you the gift of good health this holiday season.”

 Make healthy foods easily accessible 

Take advantage of the fresh fruits and vegetables of the holiday season. Brussels sprouts are one of my favorite fall and early winter vegetables, which I roast with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of seasoning. After shopping for seasonal produce, I wash and prep the fruits and veggies, then I keep them where they can be seen easily. I fill a bowl with delicious oranges, place it out on the counter, and I’m amazed how quickly it gets eaten. When I keep a bowl of fruit on the table, or cut-up veggies at eye level in the refrigerator, this will enhance someone’s chance of eating them. Likewise, I keep the unhealthier foods—or those that don’t help me meet my health goals—out of sight and harder to get.

 Balance eating with physical activity 

It’s a good idea to exercise early in the day, since daylight hours are short and other obligations can interfere with your best intentions. Even if you don’t have much time to be active, a 10–15 minute workout can help you stay fit during the holidays. You can download some great apps with short, high-intensity-interval-training exercises or other apps that target different muscle groups for 30 seconds. A little exercise can go a long way if you’re consistent.

Hopefully, some of these holiday hacks will help you enjoy the holiday season and inspire you to come up with some ideas of your own. When you have a plan this holiday season, you won’t have the daunting task of setting uninspiring or unproductive New Year’s resolutions. Prevention is the best medicine.



Maria McConville, of the Henry M. Jackson Foundation, is a Senior Nutrition Health Educator for the Consortium for Health and Military Performance (CHAMP) at the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences (USU).
Disclosure: *The opinions and assertions expressed herein are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of USU or DoD. The contents of this publication are the sole responsibility of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or policies of The Henry M. Jackson Foundation for the Advancement of Military Medicine, Inc. Mention of trade names, commercial products, or organizations does not imply endorsement by the U.S. Government. The author has no financial interests or relationships to disclose.