A college athlete’s experience with iron deficiency

tired woman runner taking a rest after running hard on city road

By: Jenny Gerson, CHAMP/HPRC Intern*

Running is a big part of my life. I started running track in elementary school after I realized running was my favorite part of other sports. I haven’t looked back since, and now I run track and cross country in college. Running has provided me with a great community and the chance to regularly push my body to the limits. 

The transition to running in college was tough. I felt tired and sluggish but I thought it was the stress of school—and because I was running more than ever. Training runs that used to be easy felt nearly impossible. While it’s normal to feel somewhat tired during training, it wasn’t normal to feel like this for so long. After a few months of running more slowly than usual and feeling discouraged, I knew something was wrong.

My coach suggested I get my ferritin levels checked. Ferritin is the protein in your body where iron is stored, and the levels can be checked through a blood test. Lo and behold, my iron levels were very low.

Unfortunately, iron deficiency is fairly common among runners and athletes, especially women. Running can put you at a higher risk for iron loss because of increased sweating and the breakdown of red blood cells. When you don’t get enough iron, your body can’t produce enough red blood cells to meet the demand. Red blood cells contain hemoglobin, which plays a vital role in delivering oxygen to your body. And when you don’t get enough oxygen, that’s when you can get symptoms such as fatigue, tiredness, headaches, nausea, and shortness of breath—also the symptoms of iron deficiency.

It’s pretty simple to fix iron deficiency once you know what’s wrong. I started taking iron supplements and eating more iron-rich foods. You can find sources of iron in all the food groups. A few examples of iron-rich foods include:

  • Red meat (beef, pork, lamb)
  • Poultry (chicken, turkey)
  • Fish and shellfish (tuna, salmon, shrimp)
  • Beans and legumes (lentils, soybeans, chickpeas)
  • Leafy greens and cruciferous vegetables (spinach, broccoli)
  • Whole grains and fortified cereals (oats, whole wheat bread, brown rice)
  • Dried fruit (raisins, dates)
  • Nuts and seeds (pumpkin seeds, almonds, flaxseed)

Iron can be hard for your body to absorb (especially from plant sources), so health professionals recommend you eat iron-rich plant foods with a source of vitamin C such as citrus, strawberries, or tomatoes. Vitamin C also improves absorption of iron from supplements. If you take iron supplements, avoid taking them with caffeine or calcium-rich foods, which can hurt absorption.

I felt like myself again once I had enough iron in my diet. If you’re a new runner, have increased the amount you exercise, changed your diet, or just feel “off,” ask your healthcare provider to check your iron levels.


Jenny Gerson is an intern for the Consortium for Health and Military Performance (CHAMP). She’s an undergraduate student at William & Mary studying neuroscience and economics on the premed path, and she runs on the track and cross country teams.

*The opinions and assertions expressed herein are those of the author and do not reflect the official policy or position of USUHS or DoD. The contents of this publication are the sole responsibility of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or policies of The Henry M. Jackson Foundation for the Advancement of Military Medicine, Inc. Mention of trade names, commercial products, or organizations does not imply endorsement by the U.S. Government. The author has no financial interests or relationships to disclose.