USU student shares his strategies for creating a food environment to support his goals

By: 2LT Jacob Keith*

I grew up in a big, poor family with 5 young kids and a single mom. Our dinners were made in big batches with bulk-bought foods. We ate rice, beans, and whatever produce was on sale, and we had a freezer full of bargain cuts of meat from the farm outside of town. Per Mom's mantra on raising kids—“wear em out, feed em, put em to bed”—we had to participate in sports. In high school, I swam with the varsity team 12 hours a week, 9 months out of the year. Every day I had cereal for breakfast, and a sandwich, an apple, carrots, and fruit snacks for lunch. Then I swam hard for a few hours after school. I came home exhausted, sat at the kitchen table, and ate as much as I could. During our hardest training periods, I barely maintained my weight and performance.

Then I went to college at West Point. 12 hours of hard training every week during high school became 3 or 4 one-hour sessions a week. I was stressed, overtired, and constantly surrounded by food. As a poor kid with a big appetite, I demolished the food at West Point's dining hall. I ate salads, raw fruit, and lean meats. But I also had mac and cheese, pasta with alfredo sauce, bowls of white rice with butter, and entrees served in calorically dense sauce. I gained 40 pounds during my 4 years of undergrad. I did not wear it well.

After I tossed my hat at graduation, I took the drive down I-95 until it dumped me into Bethesda, Maryland, for medical school. I was a newly liberated second lieutenant. For the first time, I could control my food environment. I had struggled to control my weight in college. I reflected on why I struggled. I knew my goals and I knew how I wanted to feel.  

I wanted to lose weight, I wanted a plan to do it, and I wanted a way to track it. I knew calories mattered, but I didn't want to weigh everything that went in my mouth every day. I had a big appetite and poor emotional regulation over when I was done eating. I also enjoyed eating. It was almost a self-soothing ritual. I needed to work on that, but I couldn't ignore it either.

With those things in mind, I constructed an eating environment that changed how I think about my weight, how I think about food, and what I eat. It involves both a “big picture” of my overall goals and daily strategies to help me reach those goals.

My “big picture” thinking

How I think about food. I have a calorie budget. I don’t know what exactly that number is, but I know it exists. I know that if I exceed it, I won’t meet my goals. I created food habits that enabled me to stay inside my calorie budget while still feeling full, stifling cravings, and enjoying myself. I learned to trust my body and understand its signals. I learned the difference between “I'm not full, so I could eat” and “I'm hungry.” And I learned not to open the cupboard every time I was bored.

What I eat. I got into the “don't-buy-it diet.” If I eat the whole tub of ice cream when it's in my fridge, then I guess I'm not buying ice cream. If eggs and bacon in the morning turns into mostly bacon with an egg, then I have something else for breakfast. 95% of my foods fall into: raw fruit, vegetables, whole grains, lean meats, or healthy fats. When I give myself only low-calorie options, I can still eat a huge amount of food without breaking my calorie budget, and I’m not tempted by junk food at every meal.

How I view my weight. My weight is a reflection of my dietary habits. I build my physique and performance in the gym, but the number on my scale is determined by what I've eaten in the past day, week, month, and year. So I need to care enough about my weight goals—lose, maintain, or gain—to change my daily habits in support of those goals. This is also liberating. If I have pizza once a month, or if I enjoy Mom's Thanksgiving gravy, it isn't going to destroy my goals when those meals are surrounded by good food habits.

My day-to-day strategies

How I think about food. I don't count calories, but I'm very calorie-aware. I avoid having to count each calorie by eating the same breakfast, lunch, and snack every day. I also check food labels for the serving sizes and for hidden fats or sugar. At dinner, I make good food choices and keep my portions in check. I can easily adjust the size of my standardized meals to support my weight goals. Once I get tired of the same food, I switch it out for something else with a similar nutrition content. 

What I eat. My meals need to be planned. I don't write it out days in advance, but before I open the fridge and start piling on the plate, I think, “For breakfast, I'm having my nonfat Greek yogurt with a little sweetener, an apple, and some oats in it.” I plan a meal in a specific order: protein, then at least one fruit or vegetable, then either a starchy carb—such as potatoes, pasta, or rice—or a healthy fat (or neither). Then, I decide how I'm going to flavor it all (marinade on chicken, spices on the veg, etc.).

I go to town on apples, clementines, carrots, or bell peppers when I get the mid-afternoon munchies. They aren't super salty or savory, but they fill me up without busting my calorie budget. This strategy makes up most of my diet. The rest is going out to dinner with friends or having a cookie at a party a few times per month. As long as I plan good meals at home, those one-off events disappear into the background of healthy eating.

How I view my weight. I weighed myself every morning from July 20 to September 21. Hundreds of days doing the same thing: wake up, use the bathroom, brush my teeth, shave, and hop on the scale. No matter what the scale said, I put that number into a spreadsheet on my phone with 3 columns: the date, my weight that morning, and my average weight for the past 7 days. The middle column didn’t matter—it moved all over the place. The running-average column was my weight-tracking gold. If it stopped moving down for a week, I decreased the portion sizes of my standardized meals and paid extra attention at dinner. I aimed to lose 0.75–1% of my weight per week. I had good energy, my training was going well, and I didn't feel deprived.

This is how I achieved 30 pounds of weight loss over the course of 9 months. At first, I lost weight with better food choices. Then I limited added fats and starchy carbohydrates. Only then did I need to make strong, deliberate efforts to lose weight. To establish these habits, I spent a month trying different foods and meal-prep schedules to see what I liked. My diet now is composed of dozens of small habits that keep me in fighting form, fuel performance at the gym, and keep me satiated and happy. I used my goals, tendencies, and values to construct a food environment I could sustain.

You can do the same. I don’t mean you should copy these habits, but you can copy this process. Discover how food fits into your life. Discover what you gain and value from it. Then experiment with new meals, schedules, and attitudes until your habits and values align.


Disclosure: *The opinions and assertions expressed herein are those of the authors and do not reflect the official policy or position of USU or DoD. The contents of this publication are the sole responsibility of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or policies of The Henry M. Jackson Foundation for the Advancement of Military Medicine, Inc. Mention of trade names, commercial products, or organizations does not imply endorsement by the U.S. Government. The author has no financial interests or relationships to disclose.