7 tips to optimize your personal nutrition space





A great way to fuel your body and mind is to arm yourself with easy access to a variety of high-performance food and drink options. Here are some tips and tricks from CHAMP Registered Dietitians to optimize your personal nutrition environment.

freshly squeezed juice, fruit and vegetable smoothies in glass glasses on a white table decorated with a composition of fruit
I love drinking smoothies as a meal or as a snack, especially in the hot summer months. Instead of buying smoothies, I whip up a blender full to the brim and store extra servings in a pitcher, so one batch lasts several days! My favorite smoothie includes oat milk, nut butter, spinach, frozen berries, bananas, a touch of honey, and a spoonful of flaxseed.

Maria McConville, MS, RDN
Senior Nutrition Health Educator, HPRC



Young woman writing menu on chalkboard in kitchenMy family uses a chalkboard to write out our weekly meals. A weekly menu helps us with meal shopping and planning. It’s a great way to involve our boys. Having some degree of predictability sets us up for success at mealtimes.

Jonathan Scott, PhD, RD, CSSD, LD
Assistant Professor, Uniformed Services University





Strawberries and lemon water on office table
If you’re working from home, place your tempting treats furthest from your workspace. For me, it’s my premium dark chocolate, stashed in my bedroom. It also prevents “unauthorized access” by family members.

Jane Heetderks-Cox, MS, RDN, LD
mNEAT Research Coordinator






hotel suite kitchenette
When my family travels, we look for a place to stay that has a kitchenette, or even just a fridge. We stock up on our favorites at a local grocery store—saving money and time. Plus, we have easy access to nutritious foods for quick meals and snacks. We also make time to taste the local favorites!

Katie Kirkpatrick, MS, RD, CSSD
Senior Environment Nutrition Manager, CHAMP




containers in freezer with container happy face
Our family keeps a “par inventory” of non-perishable and frozen foods. In the pantry, we keep canned vegetables, beans, tuna, peanut butter, and grains like oats or whole-grain pasta. We also keep the freezer stocked with fruits and veggies, frozen meals (leftovers or individual meals from the grocery store), and meats such as wild game, fish, and chicken. Keeping a stock of nutritious food on hand is helpful, especially when we’re extra busy with work, travel, or parenting and aren’t able to meal prep or grocery shop!

Brooks Ford, MS, RD, CSSD, LD, CSCS
HPRC Performance Dietitian


woman holding her personal stainless steel water bottle on the working table.
I sweat heavily when I exercise. Over time, I noticed I was chronically dehydrated, especially in the hot months. This left me drained and more sore than I would have expected for the workout. I prefer my beverages chilled, so I bought a stainless-steel water bottle, advertised to keep drinks cold for 24 hours. This simple solution was a huge benefit in helping me meet my hydration needs. I used to hardly drink any fluids, even though I had a water bottle next to me all day. Now I find myself filling up my bottle several times per day. I feel happier and refreshed.

Melissa Rittenhouse, PhD, RD, CSSD, LD
Nutritionist/Exercise Scientist, CHAMP



bag of raisins and bag of oatmeal side by side
When I travel, I focus on a nutrient-dense, hearty breakfast! I put steel-cut oats and golden raisins in small plastic bags for each day. Also, I pack a jar of almond butter to add protein and healthy fat to my oatmeal or make sandwiches when I arrive at my destination. I make sure the jar is well-cushioned in my suitcase. If you’re worried about the jar breaking in your suitcase, you can buy individual packets of any type of nut butter instead.

Deb Robinson, MPH, RD, CPH, CHES, ACSM EP-C
Senior Nutrition Environment Administrator, CHAMP