Interview with a marathoner

CHAMP’s Stephanie Van Arsdale caught up with Dr. Jonathan Scott, an assistant professor at the Uniformed Services University and a seasoned marathoner. We wanted to find out how an expert in human performance applies aspects of Total Force Fitness to his sport.

Thanks for sitting down with us to talk about running! To begin, how old were you when you started running?
I was 12, in 7th grade, doing cross country. 

What does running mean to you?
Several things: stress management, a way explore a new city or town, spending time with my family (I put the boys in the double-running stroller), and seeing friends.

How many marathons have you run?
Honestly, I don’t keep track, but I think I’m somewhere in the mid-30s for races of at least a marathon distance. I have run at least one marathon every year since 2002.  

How do you stay healthy during your training?
There are many factors that play into staying healthy, not all physical. I really focus on consuming enough calories and fluid to support the volume of training I’m doing. I also always prioritize sleep (>7 hours/night). I rotate my shoes—I never wear the same pair on consecutive days—and I replace my shoes every 350–400 miles. Lastly, I make sure I focus on good form while I’m running and listen to my body.  

Do you rely on anyone or anything in particular to help you get through training?
I make sure I focus on the personal goals I’ve set for myself. If you can find a training group or even one other person, it can make a huge difference.  

How do you stay motivated on days when you really don’t want to go for a run?
I always go back to the sense of purpose that running brings to me and my life. It’s the only thing I have found where, no matter what mood I’m in beforehand, I always feel better once I’m done. Having the right gear can make a huge difference too, so you can be prepared for any weather conditions. 

Do you have any mantras or self-talk you rely on when you’re running a race? What kinds of things help you push through “the wall”?
My mantra is Fortitudine vincimus – “By endurance we conquer.” If I’ve hit the wall, I focus on getting in some simple carbohydrates but also focus on small manageable goals, such as running for 30 seconds or running one block. Finding someone else to chat with can also help, especially if they’re struggling too. 

How do you mentally prepare on race day, and what’s your typical race strategy?
I remind myself to have confidence in my training and preparation, leading up to that day, which also includes making sure I consume enough calories, fluid, and rest leading up to the race. When it comes to strategy, my goal is to conserve the first half of the race and fire the last (MUCH easier said than done)! 

What’s your advice to someone who wants to run their first marathon?
Think about why you want to do this race. What does running a marathon mean to you? Then, find a group to train with. As you go along, prioritize rest and recovery. You don’t need to run every day to finish a marathon. Establish a realistic goal pace early on. Make sure there are plenty of runs during the week slower than your goal pace (especially your long run on the weekend). For race day, if you feel like you’re going slow at the beginning, go slower!

Check out the Total Force Fitness for Endurance Events guide for more information on how to optimize your performance.

---------- About Author ----------

Jonathan Scott, PhD, RD, CSSD, LD, is an assistant professor in the Department of Military and Emergency Medicine at the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences. He conducts research related to performance nutrition and dietary supplements for the Department of Defense.

* The views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect the official position of the Uniformed Services University or the U.S. Department of Defense.