Don’t let procrastination get in the way of your Total Force Fitness goals

By: Camila Almeida, CHAMP Scientist
 
The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines procrastination as “to delay doing something until a later time because you do not want to do it.” Research shows that people do it to some extent. Procrastination can reduce your effectiveness at work and affect your performance across all domains of Total Force Fitness (TFF), including physical, nutritional, mental, and social. This type of behavior can make you opt for processed food instead of cooking a healthy meal, delay starting a workout routine or a regular mindfulness meditation practice, put off a difficult conversation, forget to pay that important bill, or hold off getting a symptom checked.
 
I’m not a chronic procrastinator, but some days slip by and I don’t get anything done. Over time, I combined my personal traits with my background in neuroscience to identify the reasons why I procrastinate. I came up with simple and effective ways to overcome them. The following is not a comprehensive list of the behavioral and emotional reasons that drive procrastination, just my own experience. And it’s my hope that you can learn from it. 

I don’t know where to start

When I first heard about prepping freezer meals in large batches, I knew it was the solution for healthy dinners without spending hours in the kitchen every night. I wanted to try it, but because I didn’t know where to start, I put this project off for a few months. I thought about common ingredients for different recipes to reduce waste, my family’s preferences, and foods that freeze well. Eventually, I gave up because I felt overwhelmed. 
 
The roadblock I faced for this project relates to the fact that the human brain can only temporarily hold on to the information it needs to complete a task. This cognitive ability is known as working memory. I tried to create a mental whiteboard with potential meals for my family. By the time I tried to assess if the required ingredients freeze well, the mental meal list was gone. 
 
I thought the project was too complicated. I felt stressed, put it off for a few weeks, and eventually tried again. I needed a pen, paper, and some time to plan my big project and break it down into small steps. I planned the meals, created a shopping list, went to the grocery store, prepped all the ingredients, and put together the meal kits. And just like that, I had easy-to-cook dinners for 2 weeks.
 
When you feel overwhelmed by a big project and procrastinate because you don't know where to start, take the time to plan the phases and break down the tasks. Don't overload your working memory by trying to figure it out just in your mind.
I also use this planning-before-acting strategy when I have a lot on my plate and find it hard to prioritize. With my pen and paper, I list tasks, assign deadlines, estimate time for completion, group similar tasks together, and tackle them one at a time.
The bottom line is that the brain’s capacity to hold on to information is limited and temporary. It’s impossible to manage lots of information mentally. People sometimes procrastinate when dealing with multi-step projects because they can't visualize all the steps necessary for project completion. 
 

The task at hand is complex or difficult

Some tasks are complex and time-consuming and simply can't be broken down. I know how to do them. I just lack the motivation to start because I know what awaits me. My hack to get unstuck when I have to deal with long, hard, daunting tasks is to work on something else that is quick and easy for about 30 minutes. The brain like to get things done, and it rewards us with dopamine release. This brain chemical also increases our overall drive and motivation. In other words, task completion gets us in the mood to get things done. 
 
Sometimes, I perceive the task is much worse than it actually is. For example, when I have to unload the dishwasher. My perception of this task is that it's boring and long, so I avoid it at all costs. When I timed how long it took me to unload, I realized that it only took me 5 minutes to get the job done. I still find it boring, but now I know that it's not long at all. I dread emptying the dishwasher, which happens daily, but I tell myself, “It only takes 5 minutes and you can do it now.” There's some neuroscience in here too: You can always learn something new and relabel how you perceive specific tasks. 
 

I’m too distracted

Both internal and external distractions often get in the way of finishing my to-do list. Internal distractions are thoughts that constantly pop into my mind—things I need to do, problems I need to solve, or even creative ideas for another project. The moment those thoughts enter my mind, they grab my attention. If I try to hold onto them, I can’t focus on the task at hand. If I give in to the temptation of quickly taking care of whatever grabbed my attention, I risk not finishing the important task I’m working on. Because I know that my working memory capacity is limited and temporary, I simply write that thought down and refocus on the task. This way, I clear my working memory to fully focus on what matters and let go of the fear of forgetting that important thought.
 
I also have external distractions. Cell phone notifications, emails, and chat messages are the most frequent ones. When these affect my productivity, I put the phone on “do not disturb” and close the email tab on the web browser. It’s hard to prevent sensory stimulus from grabbing my attention. When there’s something new in the environment, I automatically shift my focus towards it. Since humans are creatures of habit, it’s natural to go check that email or message. On busy days, I schedule specific times to answer my emails—first thing in the morning, right before my lunch break, and the last thing of the day.

I don’t want to do it

The final reason why I procrastinate is that I just don't want to do what I’m supposed to do. For example, when I have to deal with difficult conversations. The thought of it triggers negative emotions, and I tend to avoid it altogether. Human biology has evolved to avoid risks. The only way to overcome this feeling is to use reasoning. I think about the long-term benefits of having this conversation, and I weigh the disastrous consequences of unsolved conflicts in my relationship. Most of the time, it’s worth it to take that risk. After everything is resolved, I intentionally hold on to feeling satisfied and relieved. Basically, I taught myself that the long-term benefits of re-taking this risk in the future outweigh the comfort of choosing the easy way. 
 
Another example is my relationship with regular exercise, which requires me to give up immediate gratification over long-term goals. I can always find an excuse to skip my workout, but I know better. Since I work for HPRC, I know that exercise is essential to physical, mental, and cognitive health. So, I plan ahead and create sustainable routines that allow me the flexibility to exercise regularly. But even with a schedule, I have to remind myself that regular exercise supports my long-term health and fitness goals—despite not being (sometimes) what I want to do at the moment. For extra motivation, I try to schedule a workout with friends because it’s hard to break a commitment with someone I love. I can't remember a day when I regretted my choice to exercise over giving in to my excuses.  
 
These tips are intended to help occasional procrastinators. Chronic procrastinators can face serious performance, health, career, relationship, and financial problems, and they might benefit from professional help. Hopefully, some of these tips can help you overcome procrastination.
 

The opinions and assertions expressed herein are those of the author and do not reflect the official policy or position of USUHS or DoD. The contents of this publication are the sole responsibility of the author and do not reflect the views, opinions, or policies of The Henry M. Jackson Foundation for the Advancement of Military Medicine, Inc. Mention of trade names, commercial products, or organizations does not imply endorsement by the U.S. Government. The author has no financial interests or relationships to disclose.