How I bring TFF to my family: Tips for parents

By: Camila Almeida, CHAMP Staff*

As a mother, one of my goals is to help my kids develop habits that support a healthy life, and teaching them Total Force Fitness (TFF) skills is an effective way to accomplish that. The TFF model helps me improve my health, well-being, and performance. The impact of TFF on my health and performance also serves as a good reminder for me to reflect on how I nurture my children's overall health.

Nearly 40% of Service Members are parents, who can create opportunities in their day-to-day lives to help their children learn TFF skills. Building healthy habits early on helps children perform at their best throughout life. Current military families are an important recruitment source for the future military force. Setting up military kids with good health behaviors now can help them become high-performing Service Members later in their lives, if they choose that career direction.

Here are some ways I bring aspects of TFF to my family.

Nutrition
Both of my kids, ages 8 and 4, are picky eaters, and their first food choice is rarely fruits or veggies. I have to constantly remind them of the many ways fruits and vegetables can keep them healthy. I try to use language and examples that are easy for them to understand. The 2 comparisons I use the most relate to the importance of antioxidants and fiber. Antioxidants are substances that are naturally present in fruits and veggies. They help neutralize free radicals, which are molecules that can damage cells and their components, such as DNA. I try to make this concept as simple as possible by comparing the free radicals to bad guys that try to destroy the cells in our bodies. Antioxidants are the superheroes that beat the bad guys and protect us, so it’s good for us to eat foods that contain lots of antioxidants. I compare foods with fiber to tiny brooms that help remove the waste that accumulates inside our bodies. These lessons help motivate my kids to eat a bowl of blueberries or a few baby carrots—at least until the next meal, when I have to remind them again about the importance of eating fruits and veggies. HPRC’s website offers age-specific tips to help parents raise healthy eaters.

Physical activity and social connection

Fortunately, I don't have to beg my kids to move around because they never stop. I use games and physical activities as opportunities to spend fun time with them and create meaningful memories. We like to go for walks in the neighborhood and explore nature. We also love to spend time outdoors hiking, biking, or roller skating. When the weather doesn't favor being outdoors, we try to find fun indoor activities, such as hula-hoop or jump-rope competitions. Sometimes, we use painter's tape to make a hopscotch design on the floor and play together. The most important thing is to use those moments to bond and create fun memories.

Mental fitness
I also value teaching my kids skills to help them manage their emotions. They already know the frontal part of their brains can help them control their emotions—and that with some practice, they can learn to think about their behavior before they act. I teach my kids to first take a couple of deep breaths and slowly count to 3. Then, I ask if they can recognize how they’re feeling and identify the cause. Finally, I ask them to identify an appropriate behavior for the situation. If it involves anger, for example, they’re allowed to stomp their feet or squeeze a squishy fidget toy, but they may not hit people, throw things, or speak disrespectfully. Of course, I also reinforce that they can always talk to their dad and me about their feelings. HPRC offers some tools just for kids to help them identify the intensity of their anger and develop healthy coping skills.

Mindfulness is another practice that can help children improve their mental fitness. In addition to teaching my kids how to breathe in moments of distress and engage the frontal part of their brains to make decisions, I like to challenge them to sit in silence for a couple of minutes. I then ask about sounds they heard, sensations they felt throughout their bodies, thoughts that crossed their minds, and feelings that came to them. We talk about those experiences, and they build awareness about themselves. During dinnertime, we talk about the highs and lows of our days and identify reasons to be grateful. Expressing gratitude is another practice that can help improve performance in many areas of TFF.

I hope these tips help you bring TFF to your family. How do you teach your kids to create habits that support their performance? Use the comment box below to share some of your tips.


* The opinions and assertions expressed herein are those of the author and do not reflect the official policy or position of USU or DoD. The contents of this publication are the sole responsibility of the author and do not reflect the views, opinions, or policies of The Henry M. Jackson Foundation for the Advancement of Military Medicine, Inc. Mention of trade names, commercial products, or organizations does not imply endorsement by the U.S. Government. The author has no financial interests or relationships to disclose.