Food is a window to cultural diversity


By: Síobhra O’Flaherty, CHAMP Intern

As an international student-athlete, studying in the U.S. has been a big culture shock. I still (more often than not) instinctively run on the “wrong” side of the road, and tax added at the checkout also catches me off guard.  However, one of the biggest cultural adjustments for me in the U.S. has been the food. 

The first thing that hit me when I stepped into a grocery store was the variety. If variety is the spice of life, then the U.S. has the whole rack! The abundance of options overwhelmed me. Most cereal brands in Ireland have 2 or 3 varieties, which is a stark contrast to the 10-plus flavors available in many U.S. stores. The endless food options in the U.S. doesn’t stop at the grocery store either. The 21-page, 250-item menu I encountered when I stopped for lunch at the mall is another example of the choice overload!

Dairy plays a big role in the Irish diet, and fresh milk is a staple on an Irish family’s grocery list. The use-by date is a particular topic of discussion. It’s a common practice to root to the back of the shelf to find the best use-by date, which is, at best, marked for 6–7 days at a time. When I first arrived in the U.S., I was confused when I bought milk because the use-by date was almost a month away. Had I read the date correctly? Was it labeled the day and month (American) versus month and day (European)? No, it wasn’t. When I scanned the ingredient list, the answer became apparent. Milk in the U.S. is ultra-pasteurized, which significantly extends its shelf life compared to the pasteurized milk sold at home. While I prefer the taste of Irish milk, not going to the grocery store twice a week for fresh milk is definitely a perk for a busy college student! 

Bread is another big cultural food difference between the U.S. and Ireland. My Irish tastebuds haven’t quite adjusted to the sweet bread in the U.S. For me, a slice of toast with butter is a savory snack, not a sugary treat. The contrast in the bread ingredients between the two countries was emphasized by a recent Irish Supreme Court Ruling that declared that the bread sold at a popular American fast-food chain couldn’t legally be classified as bread in Ireland due to its high sugar content. Instead, it had to be labeled as a confectionary item, which put it in the same category as cake. If you would like to taste the difference, I encourage you to try out the Irish soda bread recipe posted here.

Another big cultural adjustment—although not a food item—was the absence of the electric kettle in American kitchens. “Put the kettle on” can be heard across Irish households multiple times a day. If you’re invited to an Irish home, expect to be offered a mug of hot tea with a dash of milk almost as soon as you step inside. 

From my own experience, food is a window to cultural diversity. A person’s culture largely determines their own sense of taste and food preferences. Deployed or stationed-abroad Service Members and their families will likely experience similar food cultural adjustments. If you miss the taste of home, I recommend that you bring some of your favorite non-perishable foods with you. I brought almost an entire suitcase of my favorite cereal when I returned to the U.S. after Christmas break! If you have friends or family stationed abroad, you could send them a care package full of their favorite foods. I also encourage you to embrace the traditional foods at your new “home.” A varied diet has numerous health benefits, and you might discover a delicious new food! 


* The opinions and assertions expressed herein are those of the author and do not reflect the official policy or position of USU or DoD. The contents of this publication are the sole responsibility of the author and do not reflect the views, opinions, or policies of The Henry M. Jackson Foundation for the Advancement of Military Medicine, Inc. Mention of trade names, commercial products, or organizations does not imply endorsement by the U.S. Government. The author has no financial interests or relationships to disclose.