#GotMySix: My Wife





By SFC Jason Hanna, U.S. Army

So, my wife, Regina is the strongest woman I know. I’ve been serving in the Army in one capacity or another for over 20 years. I’m currently active duty and a doctoral student. Did I mention that I’m a non-commissioned officer with 2 kids in college and one in 5th grade? Our household never has a dull moment as we have 6 children (5 are ages 18 and older) with different personalities and needs. We also care for Regina’s elderly aunt and my father. In the midst of this, I’ll be the first to say that life gets hectic, and sometimes I’m not sure if I can keep up with the demands of being a son, father, husband, friend, student, and soldier.

My wife has supported me every step of the way: She’s my sounding board, confidante, cheerleader, drill sergeant, and mental health counselor all rolled into one! During one particularly difficult semester, I considered dropping a class because I had fallen behind in my coursework. Regina offered wise advice that I still use today when I feel stuck. She said, “Just start writing and put words on the paper. You can do this because you’ve already gotten this far, and I believe in you.” I followed her advice and haven’t stopped since. I owe much of my success to this woman, who deserves an honorary doctorate in her own right for putting up with me, talking me off the ledge, and loving this guy! After 24 years of marriage, I have no doubt that she’s #GotMySix—no matter what!